BY BIRTH AND RESIDENCE IN FRANCE
- Automatically at 18 years if the child has resided in France during 5 years since the age of 11 years.
- By declaration before the District Judge
- at 16 years if the child’s permanent residence has been in France for 5 years starting from the age of 11 years
- at 13 years if the child’s permanent residence has been in France starting from 8 years; the child, represented by his/her parents, must give his/her consent.
- by statement before the Prefecture : 4 years after the wedding, without break-up of communal life. The foreign spouse must justify a sufficient knowledge of French. The period of communal life is extended to 5 years if, at the moment of the declaration, residence in France is not justified starting from within 3 months of the wedding.
- A foreigner who has resided in France for + than 5 year (without exception) can ask to become French. Attention: decision is left up to the discretion of the Government
Statement to be brought before the District Judge
by holding facts in proof of French civil status during 10 years
- by adoption of a foreign child by a French citizen
- by compendium of a foreign child entrusted to the ASE (youth welfare) during 3 years